Trying My Hand At Lettering
This is a personal project that was done solely for practicing my lettering skills so don’t expect anything fancy on the physical package itself. It’s kind of overboard to build a project around some lettering I did but hey, you gotta complete the package. Maybe I’ll do something creative for one of my future mix sets.
Album title lettering
A font (Cronos Pro) was used for the Late Night Alumni text at the bottom. The graphics of the birds, bees, and butterflies came way later.
Lettering for their logo
It’s not their official logo. I’m not even sure if they have one really.
Now on to the pictures. Click to zoom.
- Photos of the group were taken from their site. Unless I’m mistaken, photos are by Finn Bjarson (who is part of the group).
- Font used for all copy is Cronos Pro by Robert Slimbach.
- Everything is printed on watercolor paper except the CD label.
- The CD label is just regular paper from a CD label kit. The label was pretty thin so I thought the labels on the CD itself would show through. I added another label on top. So there’s actually 2 labels on top of the disc.
- Trying to fold watercolor paper was pretty tricky so I used a scoring knife to help with the folds.
- I kept the project simple due to limited resources. And I like minimal designs. Some negative space wouldn’t hurt.
- I did start over a few times because something like the CD sleeve was a millimeter too short or some of the text were a few pixels too high on the layout.
- Favorite track from the album? That would be Light Reading. I was hoping they were going to add the live version of What’s In A Name but they didn’t =(
That’s it! Expect more lettering in the future. Maybe a wedding invitation or something. Until next time, love, peace, and grease.